History of the Lodge Event Center
Originally serving as Buffalo Lodge #846 of the Free & Accepted Masons, The Lodge was built in 1925 by architect Frank A. Spangenberg and Tross Construction Corp. Our building is just one of Spangenberg’s contributions to Buffalo and the surrounding areas. Prior to the construction of The Lodge, he was involved in the development of Hamburg and the planning of Downtown Buffalo, including where City Hall was to be situated. Shortly after WWI, ground was broken and seven years later, Buffalo Lodge #846 was dedicated. The outside architecture is only part of the story. Inside, there are several historically significant pieces. The Buffalo Masons took pride in their organization and decorated accordingly.
George Washington Room
The first ever 14-foot Kittinger council table (later included in their catalog) is still situated beneath an original 1926 painting of the most famous mason, George Washington. Illuminating the room is a vintage reverse painted oil-on-glass globe, accented with bronze stars and rings. In this same room is the original Trazio flooring, resembling a giant chess board when viewed from above.
Off of the “Lodge Room” is what we now call the “Sapphire Room.” This was the original meeting hall. Constructed with the utmost secrecy in mind, the building is windowless and completely sound proof. At the front of the hall, you will find a light-up Masonic “G” symbol hanging over a low stage. The half-dome ceiling that it hangs from is painted with traditional Masonic symbols. An array of Masonic relics are on display throughout, including robes, staffs, original signage and even a watercolor depicting The Lodge as it was almost 100 years ago.
Rescued from Demolition
Years later, due to waning membership, it was decided that this location was no longer needed as a stand-alone Lodge and was to be sold. Originally slated for demolition so the site could be used as a parking lot, it was saved from this fate by Stephen L. Phillips. He recognized the beauty and historical significance of the property and after a several-month-long battle, Phillips became the proud owner of The Lodge.